AAUW Carlisle branch was founded on May 10, 1924 on the campus of Dickinson College. The story of our founding features determined women and a persistent college President. To understand our close relationship with Dickinson College and the new phrases shared with a smile–“militant feminists” and “feministic shenanigans” — please read the story.
We celebrated on Tuesday, May 28th at the Cumberland County Historical Society. Over sixty-five members and four honored guests enjoyed good conversation, food, drink, and program. Below are some memories, highlights, and photos.
- The evening was made more special because we were able to honor and thank our guests.
- A harpist and four flutists added a rich texture to the social time.
- Food and drink was delicious.
- Catching up with friends or meeting new — the Social time was enjoyed by all.
- We recognized Past Presidents who are current members. And all members who have ever served on the AAUW Carlisle Board.
- To honor our past, the 95th Committee embarked on an ambitious project – to capture the oral histories of twelve members. To each of you, thank you for sharing your stories and insights for this special project. All interviews are compiled in A Collection of Oral Histories. Some interviews were videotaped by Tanner Hench. Honoring Our Past, the video created by Tanner was shown.
- Then and Now was presented by Ann Pehle, AAUW Carlisle President. After an overview of our founding, the presentation highlights the militant feminists doing feministic shenanigans.
- Members Awards were presented to very deserving and surprised members. See June/July 2019 newsletter for full description.