It is Election Season!
And that means AAUW Carlisle is educating voters. In this election year, we focused on securing candidate forums for the 199th Pennsylvania House and the 10th US Congressional. The 199th has no incumbent (Representative Bloom did not seek reelection). As a result of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court decision, the US Congressional districts were redrawn and Carlisle is in the “new” 10th. That means, the incumbent, Scott Perry is new to Carlisle voters. We thought the best course of action would be to hold candidate forums for each race. Persistence pays!
10th Congressional — Thursday, October 18th 7:00pm
Our original thought was to hold the 10th Congressional on the Dickinson College campus. Where we ended is partnering with WGAL for a live, televised debate on October 18, 2018 at 7:00pm. We are so very excited to promote AAUW to the entire district and WGAL viewing area.
We still wanted to have a local event, so we are having a watch party at Bosler Library. Watch the debate and stay for a brief conversation session. The Sentinel will be there to watch with us.
199th Pennsylvania House Candidate Forum was held on October 5, 2018 at the YWCA Carlisle. Go here for full report.
Gender Pay Gap article in The Sentinel
After attending the Black Women Equal Pay Day event, Tammie Gitt decided to write an in depth piece about the gender pay gap in Cumberland County. Front page story in The Sentinel on October 13 is an excellent article.
Companion article looking at the impact on student debt was published on October 12, 2018.
And, here is how. AAUW Carlisle members. . . .
- Award Higher Education Scholarships to qualifying Cumberland County women college students every year.
- Create societal change through non-partisan advocacy on issues impacting women and girls. Issues include: Education, Gender Pay Equity, Title IX, STEM, Economic Security, Get Out The Vote.
- Partner with Dickinson College AAUW collegiate chapter.
- Collaborate with like-minded organizations in Carlisle and Cumberland County.
- Learn and grow through content rich monthly meetings, (August–May)
- Socialize while attending an interest group activity: Book Group, Bridge Flight, Cultural Outings, Gourmet Dinner Group.