Public Policy in Carlisle Branch
Carlisle Branch works locally to advance the AAUW member-endorsed Public Policy Program addressing policies that break through educational and economic barriers for women. Specific areas of work are GOTV, Title IX, and Equal Pay. We collaborate with other organizations in the community, including the League of Women Voters, YWCA Carlisle, MomsRising, and Dickinson College.
Check out what is happening across Pennsylvania and the awesome resource pages at http://aauw-pa.aauw.net/policy/.
July 1, 2016–June 30,2017 Fiscal Year Accomplishments
This was a busy and successful year for Public Policy thanks to the dedication of the committee members, support of the Board, and volunteers. We registered the most Public Policy events/activities of any Pennsylvania branch—19 in total—and continued successful collaborations with the LWV, MomsRising, YWCA Carlisle and added Employment Skills Center.
Highlights of this year include three new projects. Topic Talks is a “book group” exploring public policy issues. Attendees read material prior to attending an informal gathering where a subject matter expert introduces the issue followed by group discussion. Equal Pay was the first topic. Know Your School Board Candidates questionnaire is the second new project. Fulfilling the AAUW mission of voter education and supporting public education combined with the knowledge that school board races are some of the least covered led us to this project of sending questionnaires to the candidates in Big Spring, Carlisle Area, Cumberland Valley, and South Middleton school districts. A voter guide for each school district was created. The third new project was delivering a Work Smart workshop.
Below is the list of Public Policy events/activities in addition to the projects mentioned above.
- Subject of first Topic Talks
- Two members attended the AAUW-PA rally and lobby day
GOTV (Get Out The Vote)
- Voter Registration events.
- Harvest of the Arts (September)
- Employment Skills Center (September)
- Collaborated with MomsRising to send 50 postcards to “not likely to vote” persons in swing states
- LTE in The Sentinel and Shippensburg News Chronicle
- Co-sponsor Carlisle Area School District school board candidate forum with LWV and YWCA.
- Emailed CRDC and Title IX resources to twenty-six school districts in Cumberland, Adams, Perry, and Franklin counties.
- Members attended Carlisle Area and Cumberland Valley school district board meetings to present CRDC results and urge accurate reporting of sexual harassment and gender based bullying.